Friday, November 04, 2005

Inspired and Generous Idea

Anyone who knows me, knows I am passionate about the Public Library. I stopped by today to pick up a book I ordered on-line.
The Penultimate Peril, Book the Twelfth, of A Series of Unfortunate Events, by Lemony Snicket. I can't wait to find out what adventures await the sadly fated Baudelaire orphans, in this recent addition to the series.

While I was there I checked out the New Arrivals, always a favorite place to look. I found The Idiot's guide to blogs. Funny.

At the check-out desk, I noticed, hanging on a large wall behind the desk, a large quantity of child sized stocking caps. There was a sign above them that said, free hat to anyone presenting a library card. What a great idea! These days the library often serves as an after school child care option for working parents. On any given school day, you will find many students who walked to the library after school and wait there for their parents to pick them up after work. It's a safe place for them to stay, with things to do to keep them occupied. Many arrive on cold, windy, rainy or snowy days without the proper clothing for the weather. So a family member of one of the librarians took it upon herself to fill a need, and decided to knit all these colorful hats, and hand them out free to any child that asks for one. What a wonderful idea!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home